The continuous training of staff is paramount in your organization. Employee’s training and development need to meet the context of your organization. Though organizations shy away from training their employee in order to cut cost, there are methods training can be done in the most cost effective way. Some of these means are outlined below:
- Job rotation. Here, employees within your organization can from time to time switch job roles within themselves, as an avenue of learning new techniques for business success and broadening their horizon for creative thinking and strategic execution. Closely related to this is job shadowing; which allows employees to join themselves to another employee to observe and learn how they do what they do.
- Encouraging managers to give training to the lower staffs. As a result of the manager’s knowledge base; they attain the position of managers, no matter their echelon; and retain managerial positions. Thus, encouraging them to impart their knowledge and skills to the other staffs is a very cost effective means of developing your staffs for a better return on investment.
- Using what is available to you. Instead of sourcing and employing the services of external facilitators, your organization can set up training modules for your staffs to train themselves. This can be rotated from staff to staff and team to team. Each staff is given the responsibility and time to go and study on a particular business area and then come before the team members or whole organization for a presentation.
- Field trips. If your company has more than one site, give your employees the leverage to go out and explore. Exposure to similar fields but different experiences and environs will create a whole lot of valuable learning experience for your workforce. Follow up too by making them responsible for bringing the experience back to your initial organization’s site and application and results.
- Enact technology training tools. This generation is one who is so accustomed to using the internet to reference and search for issues. So as an employer, you should take advantage of it. Get your employees online courses; especially the millennial generation and encourage them to share their findings with the rest of your staffs- another cost effective means of quenching their thirst for knowledge, thereby improving the overall knowledge bank, skills and success of your business.
Virtue Edoziem is a Content Creator, Research Assistant and Social Media Associate at Talents and Skills Africa Consulting.